Saturday, November 1, 2014

Artists Solve Problems

Artists Solve Problems
     When the artist solve problems unit was first introduced, I struggled with coming up with ideas.  Our first task of the unit was to brainstorm and come up with a functional way to change the way people do things.  With the example of piano stairs, I came up with a table that lights up different colors if there is no trash on it at the end of the day.  Who wants a non-glowing table right?  I really learned how to come up with different ideas, take aspects from each, and combine them together to make a pretty wicked final idea.

     The next thing I did in this unit was make a marble-drop-like creation.  The criteria was having to use all free materials.  This was definitely my hardest challenge in the artist solve problems unit. It took a day or two of experimenting to perfect the flow of the water.  My plan was instead of dropping a marble, you pour water into it!  I found a cardboard box, rocks, water bottles, and a larger bottle to use.  Originally I wanted to have the water flow out the bottom, but then I thought it would be cool if the water could be stored in a container underneath,  so that the water-drop could be used anywhere.  The final result had grass and more rocks added to it (not pictured yet).

     My final and fun project was my chosen limitation.  I chose to use no paintbrushes to create a cool, modern form of art (mono-printing) with paint.  After trying many different ways of applying paint (dripping, spraying, wiping, finger painting, etc.) I found something I liked.  I dripped paint onto palate paper and then folded the palate paper in half.  I placed a sheet of paper on top and got an awesome print that I really liked.  I added three more and ended up with a series of four.

     I honestly don't like the idea of doing art while having a limitation, simply because I don't like being limited!  I did, however, think it was an interesting concept to try.  My final project isn't something I would typically do, so I guess this project was successful in making me try new things.








No comments:

Post a Comment