Saturday, October 11, 2014

Art 2- Artist Observe

 Artist Observe
     For my final artist observe project I created a still-life drawing of Disney objects.  I used elements that I learned throughout this unit such as contour lines, proportions, composition, horizon line, and others. The rose is composed of contour lines (not picking up the pencil) to give it a "flowing together" look.  Proportions were probably the most important element in this artwork because everything needed to look realistic.  The horizon line is the edge of the table, at eye level.  One thing that many of my other peers pointed out was the nice use of tints and shades in the genie lamp to bring out an interesting 3D look.  Tints are colors that you lightened with white to show highlights.  Shades are colors darkened with black ,or its complement, to show shadow.  To truly make this an artist observe piece, I brought in an apple and feather to observe.  I also utilized pinterest for the other objects.

     How did I get the idea?  Well I love disney, and wanted to create something with multiple objects.  This still-life theme interested me more than perspective or scientific drawing.  I thought, what's something with many parts that I can bring into one? Disney princesses of course! This is what each object represents: Apple = Snow White; Genie lamp = Aladdin; Glass slipper = Cinderella; Feather = Pocahontas; Rose = Beauty and the Beast; Spindle = Sleeping Beauty; Bubbles = The Little Mermaid; Window in back showing Pride Rock = The Lion King.

     Another thing I did in the artist observe unit was observe perspective.  I love the realistic aspects I got when using one, two, and three point perspective.









   
     I learned a lot from drawing things around the high school campus.  The trailers were one of the first steps on my way to understanding perspective.

     This is a before and after drawing of my phone.  The first one I drew by memory, the second I observed while I drew.  You can see there is much more detail and correct proportions in the second.


     This is the corner of the school hallway after I learned how to create vanishing points. (I also learned it was hard to keep the correct vanishing point when they were off the paper.)



     I was shocked to realize how little I knew about correct proportions before this unit.  I drew the first two pictures above with little understanding of proportion.  The third picture was drawn while looking at another teacher, and using some pointers my teacher gave me. 


    This final proportion drawing was completed with much more understanding than I had had before.




No comments:

Post a Comment